Visa Application Services
ACROSEED Immigration Lawyer's Office

(Mon.-Fri. 9AM~6PM)
Contact us  

Application for Certificate of Eligibility

Application for Certificate of Eligibility
Japan Visa Application Service > Application for Certificate of Eligibility

1.What is a Certificate of Eligibility?

1. What is a Certificate of Eligibility?

A Certificate of Eligibility more commonly known as a CoE is a document that people applying for a residential visa for Japan from abroad must apply for before coming to Japan. Commonly known as a CoE this document is basically a document issued by the Japanese government telling the relevant embassy that they can issue the visa.

2. What is a Residential Visa?

In Japan like most countries visas are broadly split into two categories. Visitor visas and residential visas.

Visitor visa

Commonly known as a tourist visa this allows a person to stay in Japan for up to 90 days for purposes such as tourism and attending business meetings.

Given by: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Residential visas

These are visas that allow a person to live in Japan and register as a legal resident. These visas are usually given with 1,3 or 5 year validities.

Given by: Ministry of Justice

3. Why do I need to Apply directly to Immigration in Japan.

This is simply because the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who are in charge of embassies and consulates only have the jurisdiction to issue visas for up to 90 days. So in order to get around this the Ministry of Justice must issue a CoE that allows the embassy to give out longer visas.

4. How do I apply if I Am not in Japan?

This is where things can get a little complicated. Because of the MOJ's rules a person applying for a CoE must be in Japan at the time of application. This would seem to mean that one cannot apply from outside of the country. In order to get around this issue the person wishing to apply for a visa needs to nominate a representative to apply for the visa on their behalf.

Here are some examples:

・If applying for a spousal visa this can be your spouse's family living in Japan.
・If applying for a working visa this may be the head of the company or the hiring manager.
・If you have no relatives or business partners in Japan you can instruct an immigration lawyer who can apply on your behalf.

5. What is the Process?

The process is rather simple so I have written it as a list below.

1). Gather your documents and submit the application to immigration in Japan
2). Wait for immigration to inspect these documents. How long this takes is hugely dependent on many factors including how busy immigration are but can usually be expected to take anywhere from 1-4 months.
3). When the CoE is issued your contact mails it to you.
4). You take this to the nearest consulate/embassy and use it to apply for a visa.
5). A vignette detailing your visa type and validity are stuck in your passport.
6). You take this vignette and the CoE with you when entering Japan and the immigration officer will issue you a residence card.

2.What are some Common Case Examples?

Me and my Japanese spouse have been living in my home country up until now but want to come and live in Japan.
I got married to my fiancé/ée who is living abroad so I want to bring them to Japan.
I am in Japan on a working visa and my wife has just given birth in my home country so I want to bring my baby to Japan.
My spouse was previously deported from Japan for overstaying their visa but I want to bring them here to live with me.
I tried applying for a visa myself but was rejected.

We support people of all walks of life to live in Japan and offer free consultation. Our experts will support you and work with you to find the best way for you to come and live in Japan.

Call us on 03-6905-6370 for your free chat today.

3.Support we offer

1. Consulting

We work with you to find any things that may cause problems with the application and do our best to negate the damage that they cause.

We will match you with the best lawyer for your case based on the lawyer's experience and the particular details of your inquiry.

2.Preparation of Documents

We create all application documents to give you the best chance for success in your application.

In order to be able to prepare documents in a speedy and efficient way we have support staff who create the documents and these are then checked over by an expert lawyer to make sure that they are 100% After this you will be given the chance to look over before you sign.

3.We handle all trips to immigration on your behalf

We understand that especially in the current climate you may not want to go to immigration and wait in lines for hours. We also understand that not everybody has the time to spend a whole day waiting to submit the application and another day when they get the results.

This is why we handle all applications and collections of new visas on your behalf and you should not have to step foot near immigration.

4.We will liaise with immigration during the application

If we are asked to explain something in more detail Acroseed will work as a mediator between you and immigration to make sure that we can communicate what you want to say to them without any issues.

We will also support you in the case that immigration ask for any additional supporting evidence.

4.Google Customer Reviews

5.Prices(※Excluding tax)

・Our services are available nationwide. Customers living far away can also request services at the following rates.

・You can also pay by Visa card or Mastercard.

Application for Certificate of Eligibility
for Status of Residence.
Free consultation/inquiry for visa application

Since opening our practice in 1986, we have been involved in consulting on visa applications for foreigners for nearly 40 years as an immigration lawyer.
Telephone consultation, email consultation, online consultation, and consultation at our office are available.