Visa Application Services
ACROSEED Immigration Lawyer's Office

(Mon.-Fri. 9AM~6PM)
Contact us  

Re-Entry Permission

Re-Entry Permission
Japan Visa Application Service > Re-Entry Permission

Re-Entry Permission

1. What is Re-Entry Permission?

Unlike many other countries where you are free to exit and enter the country as you please Japan requires that all foreign residents apply for re-entry permission prior to leaving the country. Failure to do so will lead to your visa being cancelled and a hole punched in your residence card. In the past this meant that you had to go out of your way to your nearest immigration bureau. Thankfully, nowadays this can be applied for at the airport when going through customs.

Re-Entry Permission is split up into 2 types. Standard Re-Entry permission and 'Special' Re-Entry Permission.

2. What is so special about 'special' Re-Entry Permission?

Introduced in 2012 this is the system that allows you to apply for re-entry permission at the airport. This is convenient, however, it is best to be careful as it is only valid for up to either the expiration date of your visa or 12 months (whichever comes first). If you are planning on leaving the country for a few weeks only then this is probably the best way to go.

3. What if I want to Leave for more than 12 Months?

In the case you intend to leave the country for more than 12 months you will need to go to the immigration bureau and apply for the more traditional re-entry permission. This is usually valid for up to 5 years (or the end of your visa). In the case of special permanent residents this is 6 years.

This comes in two types:

・Single Entry = cost ¥3,000
This means that as long as you enter the country before the end of the validity your visa will continue in tact. However, once you do come back your re-entry permission is used up.
・Multiple =cost ¥6,000
Similar to the above this allows you to leave the country for up to the end of the validity of the permission. The main difference is that you can enter and exit the country as many times as you would like to during the period of validity.

4. Is it possible to extend from abroad?

For the special re-entry permission this is not possible however, if you make the effort to apply for the more traditional style of permission you are able to apply at a local Japanese embassy to have the permission extended for up to 12 months in the case that you would not be able to re-enter Japan before the validity of the permission runs out.

5.People not eligible for Re-Entry Permission

1). Those currently having their visas cancelled.
2). Those with visas where the main aim is leaving the country.
3). Those who have been detained by immigration.
4). Those currently applying for asylum.

2.What are some common case examples?

I have Permanent Residence but my company wants me to work abroad for a couple of years.

3.Prices(※Excluding tax)

・Our services are available nationwide. Customers living far away can also request services at the following rates.

・You can also pay by Visa card or Mastercard.

Obtaining a re-entry permit
(Single or multi)
Free consultation/inquiry for visa application

Since opening our practice in 1986, we have been involved in consulting on visa applications for foreigners for nearly 40 years as an immigration lawyer.
Telephone consultation, email consultation, online consultation, and consultation at our office are available.